Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Day 13, continued

Finding a bus turned out to be harder than expected. First, we had to walk four more blocks uphill to find the bus stop. Normally not a big deal, yes, but Aspen isn’t exactly Speedy Gonzales, and even Levi slows down when he’s constantly having to run uphill. The first few buses were overcrowded, but we finally found one with enough room for all of us. Turned out our driver has an MBA from the University of Rude, but with the help of the other passengers, we figured out how to get where we needed to go.

I would have loved to go up to the Space Needle observation deck, but it’s not quite as small-children-friendly as the Pacific Science Center, so we went there instead. As is frequently the case, it’s cheaper for us to buy a year-long family membership than to buy individual tickets for everyone. This one also included five guest passes, so my sister/mom/two nephews all got in free as well.

I was also able to meet up there with Sarah, a friend I’ve known online for two or three years but never met in person. She brought her daughter, just four days younger than Lily, and the two girls played together (or at least side-by-side) in the kids’ play area. I really enjoyed talking to her, and I wish we’d had more time to chat without me having to chase toddlers or track down lost sisters/husband/nephews.

It was pretty stressful to try and keep track of everyone, since there is a lot to do and we had extra people. By the time the exhibits were closing, I was so beyond ready to leave. All of us, along with Sarah and her little girl (who is cute personified, by the way), headed out to eat, only to find that many of the restaurants there were closing just as we were walking up to order. Orange Julius had only one hot dog, Subway was out of meatballs, Sbarro had only cheese pizza. Seriously, what restaurant in their right mind closes at 6pm?

After briefly considering trying to get to a Mariners game, we finally decided to just head back to the ferry. I would have loved to go to the game, shop at the market, or browse the touristy stores along the waterfront, but the kids were tired. I am constantly reminded on this trip that I can make all the plans I want, and have a whole list of things that I want to do, but it isn’t about me. This isn’t MY vacation. This trip is about finding things that will keep our whole family happy and occupied, and what I want to do has to come second. Dang motherhood, making me be all unselfish.

The ferry ride home was gorgeous, as we watched the sun set and saw Mt. Rainier in the distance, along with the fading Seattle skyline. The kids are tired but happy, and I’m sure they will all crash pretty hard on the drive home.

Total miles driven: 150. Miles on the ferry: 30, I think. Walking: Probably 4. And uphill, too, so that should count for extra!

No comments: